Ms. Muego recalls that the CSR program started in 2002 with technical assistance from the United States for International Development (USAID). However, the full blown implementation of the program started in 2003. It is considered as an innovation in the province’s Population and Development initiatives. The program aims to promote the ability of local government units (from provincial to barangay levels) to sustain the provision of good quality and affordable FP services and commodities within the context of high unmet family planning needs and reduction in the donated commodity assistance. It is at the forefront of the Province’s Family Panning/Reproductive Health program which aims to provide services and information to couples in accordance with their own needs, religious beliefs and lifestyles.
The specific objectives of the CSR program for 2003 to 2008 as cited in the document presented by Gov Victor Agbayani entitled “Road Map Towards Commodity Self –Reliance: the Pangasinan Experience” during the forum on LGU Achievements in Health Governance last August 17, 2006, are to:
- Achieve commodity self reliance
- Increase private sector participation so that they can supply the sector that can afford to buy
- Segment the market so that only the poor will have access to free commodities
- Reduce unmet need for family planning
- Promote natural family planning
- Institutionalize reforms towards self reliance